It is fall and that means one thing in my house – football. When I got engaged, my husband’s only request for our wedding date was that it not be during football season. Needless to say, Saturdays and Sundays (and Mondays, sometimes Thursdays and Fridays too) revolve around game time. When we first started dating, I thought this meant that we would watch only Texas and Georgia, his two favorite teams. Shortly, I learned that football season meant not only watching our alma maters, but also watching Game Day on ESPN on Saturday morning, being at home in place for whatever noon game starts on Saturday, and late nights making sure that the double overtime Oregon and even Hawaii games aren’t missed. Maybe a slight exaggeration here, but you get my drift.
In the beginning, I was all about football season because I like any excuse to have fun. If we have a reason to get together with friends and have a few drinks – I’m in. But as time went on, I realized that it was actually kind of interesting to follow. The more you know about something, the more interesting it can become. And, I kind of enjoy being one of the girls at the party who knows what’s up.
Before each weekend during football season, I’ll be posting five things to know about college and pro football this week, respectively. Because I kind of figure, if you can’t beat em, you might as well join em.* Memorize one or two of these fast facts for your game day throw down and you’ll be sure to turn a few guy’s heads.
*Note – This does not mean that I am not actively engaged in pinterest, twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. etc. etc. to pass the time while random games are on in the background.
1. Alabama is still No. 1 (ugh, sorry ‘Bama fans – I’m maxed out)
2. This week’s schedule is pretty weak in terms of exciting games.
3. The best SEC matchup this week is Florida v. Tennessee (and it ain’t that great)
4. ESPN Game Day (referenced above) is in Fargo, North Dakota this week for the North Dakota State v. Delaware State game. (The real kicker is whether they’ll be able to get enough people to actually make it look exciting in the background ~ how many people do you think live in Fargo? Sorry if you hail from North Dakota…)
5. Memorize this: “North Dakota State is the two time Division AA Champs, which is like being the Alabama of Division 2.”
5. There is a game on Thursday night — Philadelphia Eagles v. Kansas City Chiefs — and the Eagles have a new coach, Chip Kelly, who coached at Oregon last year.
4. Andy Reid, now the coach of the Chiefs, will face off against his former team, the Eagles. He was fired as the head coach of the Eagles at the end of last season.
3. The Atlanta Falcons play the Miami Dolphins on Sunday at 4 pm.
2. There is a 50/50 chance that the superstar tight end (no this doesn’t mean tight butt – its a position on the field) for the New England Patriots Rob Gronkowski might play this week.
1. Green Bay Packers at Cincinnati Bengals is the best 1 pm game.
And there you have it. Good Luck. Tune in next week for the updated line up.